Beautiful Flower Baskets
Have you seen the beautiful flower baskets hanging in the downtown area this year? Many folks deserve thanks for their part in making our downtown look its best, including Donahue's Greenhouse for getting the flowers planted and ready for us, Faribault's Parks and Recreation staff for hanging and maintaining the baskets and Senior Center volunteers for faithfully watering the flowers each morning. They look great!
Need a memory boost? Attend this free three-session class on how to boost your memory using practical tips and techniques. We will learn about different types of memory, how memory works, normal changes in memory and cognition as we age, ways to support three phases of memory, and ways to remain independent and safe.
Class will be held at the Senior Center on Tuesday, July 10th 17th and 24th from 2:00-3:00 p.m.
Boost Your Brain is part of Brookdale Senior Living's Optimum Life® program and will be presented by Micah Staloch, staff member at Faribault's Brookdale Senior Living. This is a free class which is open to public; please call to register.
New Walking Club
Interested in joining others in a great, fun workout? Then consider being a member of the new Tuesday Walking Club. In partnership with Faribault Parks and Recreation, we have arranged a schedule for a once weekly walk around Faribault. This is a free activity, which is open to the public. There is no pre-registration necessary, just show up every Tuesday at 10:30am in the following locations:
- July 10th at Alexander Park
- July 17th at Faribault Senior Center
- July 24th at Middle School
- July 31st at Teepee Tonka Park
- August 7th at Alexander Park
- August 14th at the Senior Center
If you have questions, please call the Walking Club organizer, Hannah at 507-491-6088.
County Fair Memories Essay Contest
Do you have memories of your youth? If you are age 62 or older, you are invited to submit an essay of between 500-1,000 words to the County Fair Memories Essay Contest. Your essay will be judged on the quality of communication and creativity. Awards will be given after Outstanding Senior Citizen Award during the Rice County Fair's Senior Spotlight Day on Thursday, July 19th Submission deadline is July 9th. Please mail you completed essay to Rice County Fair, Attn: Kathleen Cap, 16776 Elmore Trail, Faribault.
Questions for Carla
Carla Pearson, LSW, a Senior and Caregiver Advocate for Three Rivers Community Action will be back at the Senior Center on Thursday, July 12th. Carla has a large array of services that she can provide, including completing applications for various programs like Medical Assistance, Nutrition Assistance Program for seniors and Energy Assistance. She also has experience in working with those living with memory loss and can provide specialized education, screenings, resource referral and care planning for individuals or their caregivers. Consultations are free and open to the public, but an appointment is needed.
- The Senior Center, Fashions on Central and Senior Dining will be closed on Wednesday, July 4th. There will be no programs or noon meal served. All services will resume again on Thursday, July 5th.
- Nominations are now being sought for the 2018 Rice County Outstanding Senior Citizen. Pick up a form at the Senior Center or online at ricecountyfair.net. For information call Char Wetzel at 507-334-5738 or email at email@example.com. Deadline to submit is July 6th.
- Cleaning out your closets? Why not donate to Fashions on Central! You can be assured that we will treat your clothing and accessories with the same love you bought them with, plus your donation benefits the Senior Center.
- Prairie's Edge Casino Resort in Granite Falls, MN on July 10 and 11. Cost is $75 for transportation and hotel room. Casino package includes $50 on Players Card and more. Brochures available.
- MN Twins vs Cleveland Indians on Wednesday, Aug. 1 for a 1:10 game. Cost includes admission to the game and motorcoach transportation and parking. Return home immediately following the game.
- St Paul Saints vs Chicago Dogs, Aug 29. Leave at 5 pm for a 7 pm start. Cost includes game ticket, parking and motorcoach transportation.
- Church Basement Ladies, "You Smell Barn", on Sept 20, at the Ames Center in Burnsville. This is a newly written play. Cost includes performance, lunch and motorcoach transportation.
- Hostfest on September 25-28, Good old home Scandinavian Festival, and includes tickets to Daniel O'Donnell and Texas Tenors/Tanya Tucker. Three free musical shows and options to include performances in the great Hall. The brochure is available at the Senior Center and explains it all.
- Galena-Dubuque Fall Colors Tour on October 16-18 and include: Dickeyville Grotto & Shrine, narrated trolley tour of Galena, historic DeSoto House Hotel, two breakfast cruises, progressive dinner in Victorian Dubuque, and Field of Dreams. Pick up a brochure, deposit reserves your seat, better hurry
- Details also ready for the Holiday Branson Tour on Nov 3-7 and Christmas in Nashville on November 14-19. Brochures with specifics available at the Senior Center.